Monday, November 30, 2009

Ups and Downs


We had 24 people for worship today. That is the most we have had in about a 12 month period. The extra people were hearing brothers and sisters of the deaf people. There is still a peace that is hovering among us. I praise God for that. This is a picture from this morning. Pastor Chon had a "Bible Institute" in his church so we had to find another place to worship. We used the empty building next to my house. Everyone loved it because it felt like "our church". I prefer to be in Pastor Chon's church because the space is larger. Yet, even though we were shoulder to shoulder, "cozy" is nice, too.




The sugar is tassle-ing. I love it. It's so beautiful to see a field full of it blowing in the wind under a blue sky.




The pointsettia trees are in full bloom. (Yes, here in Belize they are trees...not cute little plants.)



I'm healing. I thank God and the many people who prayed and helped me especially Mrs. Briceno who took me to the hospital on Sunday night and waited with me three hours while I got a drip and some insulin. She also gave me a good lunch each day. Now I am finally feeling stronger and there is just a little pain at the site of the wounds and some are even itching and the scabs are coming off. So the long and short of it is... whew! I'm glad to be alive and can't wait to get back in the classroom on Monday.



And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus. Always give thanks to God the Father through Jesus Christ.
Colossians 3:17

No one was hurt this morning when a big red pick-up truck driven by a young Mennonite man swerved around us and crashed into the left bumber of the van. We were driving slowly on the "Sugar Road" that is a dirt road that runs between the sugar factory and Yo Creek on our way to pick up more people for church. There were three children in the van and two were sitting in the very back. They yelled that the man is coming "crazy fast". I didn't hear them. The road was recently smoothed over and more dirt put down on the holes so you can actually fly about 60 to 70 mph on it. When he caught up to us I think he did not calculate the distance he needed to overtake us since we were not going very fast...and he got too close before he was able to swerve into the other lane. The passenger side of his truck got pretty wrecked up, too. There was a woman sitting in that seat holding a baby. Fortunately she did not let go of the baby. So in the end, no one was hurt.
I made a police report, went to the insurance agent's house and made the insurance report, and will go to see Mr. Estrada (body shop) tomorrow to get an estimate.

It could have been worse. It could have been a lot worse. So I thank God for protecting us, again.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Nancy!
    I'm so glad I found you. I was talking with an interpreter from the IU and I mentioned that I knew you. She told me that you were in Belize and that you had a blog. She was going to email me the web address but never did. So I decided to google you and here you are!
    I will definitely start following your blog. I'm so glad that you found a place to serve God where he is using all your talents and experience.

    -Adrienne Bodisch

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adreinne! Wonderful! I am thrilled to hear from you "62socks"!
    Thanks so much for finding me and reading the blog.
    Please send me an email when you have time. I would love to hear what you are doing? (school? working? working at the IU???)
    My email address is:
    nancyinbelize@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I'm glad to see Manuel leading worship!

    ReplyDelete