Tuesday, April 3, 2012

April Already?

There are several pictures in my camera that give a glimpse of the Lord's work here in Belize and life in my house.   None of the pictures are enough for a whole post so I have decided to throw them together and add a caption here and there.  Thanks for your prayers and walking this faith journey with me and all of us at Jesus' Deaf Church.




This is Ezekiel. He is 26.  I met him at a workshop for deaf children in Corozal.  He lives with his mother and father in a small village. His mother said he is deaf and wanted him to learn to sign.  I said I would help... but quickly found out he is not deaf.  He has autism. Colleen Richard is a Peace Corps worker who has extensive knowledge in working with autistic kids, but her term ends next month. So I asked her to teach me how to teach him. For now we teach him together about once a week.










Now we have a two week Easter holiday.  So nice :-)
Sulmi finds lots of things to do like color in the color by number bird book that Carol Rhodes gave her, and rake the yard, pick limes, play on the computer, swim, and visit Kristel or Angelica. Next week we will spend three days on the island of Caye Caulker visiting Gineli.








Alva likes to write poetry. The English is not always exact but the sentiment is clear. At Girl's Night she often brings a poem to give to someone as a gift.  Last week was my turn :-)

I wish I could bottle up the sweet smell that these cashew blossoms give off.  It is not over-powering like lilac and hyacinth can be sometimes.  Reinalda has this tree right at her back door.   It's lovely. You can see the cashew fruit above the nut.  The little green orbs will grow and change to the pretty red, pear-sized fruit.  For such a sweet smelling blossom, it's surprising that the fruits has sort of a sour, fermented taste to it.  Most people use it to make cashew wine. 



This is my dog Gabriel in a lot of pain. He spent about 36 hours gagging and vomiting. Evidently he ate something that he couldn't pass. He was in so much pain. The vet gave him something to relax him a little and he is now much better and drinking and eating a little bit.  Thanks for praying. It's ridiculous and I wonder about the wisdom of it all but he is like a child to me.






The school garden is "in between" plantings.  We had lots of success with carrots and cilantro, tomatoes and black beans.  But now that we are in the dry season, the days are SUNNY and HOT... so hot that only the habenero peppers can survive the heat. So we are waiting for it to rain and we will plant again.  The rains will come mid-May (we hope).  Misael loves to help in the garden.  Here he is watering the habenero peppers.


Grafitti is part of life here.  Most of it is some kind of gang thing.  But this one, I love.  I love how the writer got carried away with the o's.  They wander up the wall to the right until he runs out of paint.
Te Amo Muchisimoooooooooooo!

No comments:

Post a Comment